The College map collection is situated on the second floor of the Mile End Library.
Most of the maps in the collection are published by Ordnance Survey or British Geological Survey. These are kept in locked cabinets in the Second Floor South Reading Room.
These are situated near the Arts and Social Science Reference collection in the Second Floor North Reading Room. They are mostly folded OS Landranger 1:50,000 maps, some OS Explorer 1:25,000 maps and some foreign maps. They can be borrowed for up to 4 weeks.
The atlas collection is also near the Arts and Social Science Reference Collection. It includes world atlases, national atlases, gazetteers, historical atlases and some thematic atlases. These are classified according to the Library of Congress Classification scheme but have the location Map Collection. These atlases are confined to the library.
The online service, Digimap, provides access to digital mapping of Great Britain at various scales and allows the creation of bespoke maps which can be printed or downloaded. Digimap can be used on and off campus - a password is required.
Information on the Internet
The following web sites may be of interest:
- Bodleian Library Map Room, Oxford
- British Geological Survey,
- British Library Map Collections:
- Cartography - Calendars of Events and Exhibitions
- Map History / History of Cartography
- National Map Centre
- Oddens' Bookmarks The Fascinating World of Maps and Mapping
- Ordnance Survey
- Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland:
- Royal Geographical Society
- Stanfords...map and travel book shops
If you wish to make any further enquiries concerning the map collection, please contact Lorna Rosbottom.