Jewish Burial Grounds
Old (or Velho) Beth Chaim Cemetery for Spanish and Portuguese Jews Sephardic Jews was established in 1657, shortly after Oliver Cromwell allowed the resettlement of Jews in England. It was closed in 1752. The remains of the cemetery are now situated behind Mile End Place, and Albert Stern House (now a Queen Mary Halls of residence, but formerly an old people's home for Sephardic Jews). The Nuevo (or New) Beth Chaim Cemetery for Spanish and Portuguese (Sephardic) Jews was established in 1725 and in use from 1733. It was in use until 1920. Much of the cemetery was escavated 1974, the remains were reclaimed and interred in the grounds of a halls of residence in Brentwood. What remains of the cemetery is part of the original Nuevo cemetery, and is located next to the Mile End Library.