The Archives provides copies of items held in the collections in accordance with the Archvies Access Policy (download PDF [PDF 518KB] file). A summary of the policy is also available (download PDF [PDF 352KB] file).
The Archives Service Level Agreements are available here (download PDF [PDF 255KB] file).
Copies for private research
A photocopying and scanning service is offered for users requiring copies for private research. To order photocopies or scans, complete an Application for Copies (for research) form (download PDF [PDF 158KB] file). (To view this PDF file you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download the software for free from the Adobe website.) For security and preservation reasons copying will be carried out by Archive staff.
Payment should be made in cash or by sterling cheque. Researchers are welcome to visit in person to pay and collect copies. Remote orders will be accepted, with payment by cheque, made payable to Queen Mary, University of London.
|Record Copying Charges*||Queen Mary Staff/Student (£)||External User (£)|
|Photocopies A4 Black/White||0.10||0.20|
|Photocopies A4 Colour||0.50||1.00|
|Photocopies A3 Black/White||0.15||0.25|
|Photocopies A3 Colour||0.75||1.50|
|Scan (JPEG or TIFF)||1.75||3.50|
*The above charges apply per page or per scan. Additional charges may apply as follows:
- A minimum charge of £10.00 plus postage and package will be applied to remote orders.
- Additional postage and package will be applied as follows; UK £1.50, Europe £2.00, Worldwide £3.00.
- Writing scanned images to CD, will incur additional charges of Queen Mary staff/students £1.00, External researchers £2.00.
- For preservation reasons, not all collections are suitable for copying. Wherever possible we will offer an alternative, but we reserve the right to refuse to copy items where the copying process will cause damage.
- Copying orders can only be processed in accordance with current UK copyright law. Copyright in photographs is particularly stringent, and the copyright holders permission should be obtained by the researcher, before the order can be processed.
Permission to publish
Permission must be obtained from the College Archivist, prior to the publication of any material from the Archives collections. Publication includes the use of copies in books, journals, CDs, magazines, film, television, video, electronic publications such as websites and CD-ROMS, and other forms of public display such as exhibitions and public lectures. To obtain permission complete an Application for Permission to Publish form (downloadPDF [PDF 309KB]file). (To view this PDF file you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download the software for free from the Adobe website.)
- The Copyright for the material in the Archives is not always owned by Queen Mary, University of London . It is the responsibility of the applicant to obtain permission from copyright holders. Evidence of permission must be presented in writing, before applications can be approved.
- Publication fees may apply, at non-commercial and commercial rates.
Archive users are permitted to take photographs of the collections, in the Archives Reading Room, using their own digital camera. Users wishing to take photographs, should inform the Archives Reading Room Superviser and complete a Self-Service Photography form (downloadPDF [PDF 93KB] file). Users will also be required to adher to the following:
- Flash photography and tripods are prohibited
- Copies are for personal non-commercial research purposes
- Comply with current UK copyright legislation
Quotation and citation
Permission to quote from any of the collections in the Archives should be obtained by applying in writing to the College Archivist. For citation please use the following form of reference:
Queen Mary, University of London Archives: Collection name; Reference no; Title, date, page or item number.