The page provides a useful list of websites to different aspects of the biomedical module. Please note the list is not extensive and many websites cross-over with different modules within the full course outline. Please see below.
- Get Body Smart: Animated overviews and quizzes to explain the structure and function on a wide range of human body systems.
- Grays Anatomy: A comprehensive overview of a number of bodily systems; explaining in detail the role of each within the human body.
- Teach Me Anatomy: Gives detailed insights into the anatomical structures found within the body; explaining in detail the location, structure and function of each organ. Additionally, offering thorough and labelled diagrams, which are useful for anatomy labs/quizzes.
Cell Biology and Cancer
- Leukaemia Foundation: Provides useful information on a number of blood cancers which is useful knowledge for a number of overlapping modules.
- Cancer Council: A very useful overview of a number of cancer types, the modes of detection and treatment as well as directing the user to a number of external resources.
- Cancer Research UK: A broad overview of many cancer-related topics, in form of statistical data, external resources and information on the different treatments.
- UKCTG: The latest and upcoming research in the field of cancer and provides very worthwhile information on a range of topics relevant to your course.
Development and Disease
- BioInteractive: Search for hundreds of free resources and the interactive elements help you to understand concepts easily and clearly, making learning more beneficial.
- Microbiology Info: A wealth of information on a range of microbiology topics and gives you an etiological overview of a number of different diseases.
- Microbiology online: Descriptions on a number of microbiology titles and also offers engaging content microbiology topics, quizzes, and tutorials.
- Code Breakers - Makers of Modern Genetics: A online research guide to the history of genetics created by the Wellcome Library.
- KU Medical Centre: Useful in understanding the research surrounding genetics and the related fields and gives an overview of the external work surrounding the vast topic of genetics.
- The Medical Biomedical Page: Provides reviews on a number of different biochemistry topics which is useful in explaining why genetic conditions arise.
- Science - Human Genome Special Issue: Freely available issue of the journal Science contains the report of the sequencing of the human genome by a group of authors led by Craig Venter of Celera.
- Structural Genomics Knowledgebase: Research data and resources from the Protein Structure Initiative, complemented with structural biology updates from Nature Publishing Group.
- Mayo Clinic: Offering an A-Z guide and focused information on a range of health-related topics, with expert knowledge from hundreds of experts in the scientific field.
- Synap: Practise your knowledge about neuroscience through the form of MCQs.
Other Useful Websites
- BioMed Central: High-quality information on a range of topics, allowing you to explore Journals by subject (Biomedicine, Chemistry, Dentistry).
- Histology Slides Databases: Very useful information on different anatomical slides and complimentary histological slides that are very useful for lab work.
- Lab Tests Online: A comprehensive guide on a number of pathological tests and provides a thorough list of a range of blood disorders and related diseases.
- Medscape: A very detailed overview on a number of different topics and lets you browse by specialty; covering a number of topics within medicine, surgery and paediatrics.