A range of high-quality resources for Languages and Linguistics are available on the web. Start exploring them here:
- Antwerp Papers in Linguistics: The Department of Linguistics of the University of Antwerp publishes a series of working papers called Antwerp Papers in Linguistics (APiL). The papers’ range of topics varies from cognitive linguistics, functional and pragmatic approaches, to problems of language acquisition.
- Catalan Journal of Linguistics: Publishes research papers developing theories on the structure of particular languages within the perspective of a general theory of human language.
- Germanistik im Netz (German on the Net): The virtual library of German language and literature studies.
- institut-francais: Part of a worldwide network which promotes the teaching of the French language and culture. It comprises a language centre, multimedia library, a cinema – Ciné lumière – and a French bistro. The library holds the largest freely accessible collection of French material in the UK, covering all aspects of French culture and society.
- The Goethe-Institut London: Promotes German culture by organising a broad variety of events, workshops and training seminars. The Library of the Goethe-Institut London serves as a resource for those interested in contemporary Germany.
- IRIS database: A repository of over 3000 open access instruments for research into second languages.
- Italinemo: Presents a regularly updated bibliographical database, which allows the retrieval of bibliographical records collected since 2000 from a large number of Italian and international journals. The selected periodicals focus on Italian literary and cultural studies.
- Modern Languages Open (MLO) :a peer-reviewed platform for the open access publication of research from across the modern languages to a global audience.
- Open Book Publishers is a UK HSS publisher which enables you to access an openly available list of Open Educational Resources (OER) which includes books and textbooks for free.
- RACO (Catalan Journals Open Access): A co-operative repository that makes available full-text articles from various Catalan sources.
- Russian Review: A multi-disciplinary academic journal devoted to the history, literature, culture and politics of the peoples of the former Russian Empire and former Soviet Union.
Be careful, though, when using the Internet for research, that the sites you find are reliable and up to date. Check when the page was last updated and think about who is providing the information and why. Sites like Wikipedia are not suitable for academic work. The archived version of Internet Detective tutorial looks at the critical thinking required when using the internet for research and offers practical advice on evaluating the quality of websites.