Databases are excellent sources of good quality information. These are the most useful databases of English law:
- BAILII: Freely available British and Irish public legal information.
- HeinOnline: Is a legal database providing a substantial collection of US and international legal research materials in an online, fully searchable and image-based format. This means that all of the images of the documents in PDF format are just as they appear in the original print.
- i-law.com: Access to 27 titles including International Construction Law Review and Lloyds Maritime and Commercial Law Quarterly. *Requires additional authentication to access. Input your QMUL email address to authenticate.*
- Index to Legal Periodicals and Books: Provides access to journal articles, court decisions, legislation, books, book reviews and more. Full text is available for over 400 journals.
- Investor-State LawGuide: Enables a methodical approach when researching investment treaty arbitration jurisprudence and provides an efficient means to improve the comprehensiveness of research.
- JustisOne: Includes international law reports, UK Core (which includes Justis UK Legislation Complete and Justis England & Wales Judgements Complete), Canada Core and Caribbean Core.
- Kluwer Arbitration: Provides access to the full text of primary and secondary materials in the field of international commercial arbitration.
- Lexis: Full-text law database covering thousands of reported and unreported cases from the following jurisdictions: England & Wales, 1900-; Scotland, 1944-; Northern Ireland, 1945-; European Court of Justice, all cases. Also includes the full text of all in-force UK and EU legislation, and the full text of 50 UK law journals, over 700 US law journals, 25 Canadian law journals and 12 Australian law journals.
- Mass Observation Online: Makes available the complete archives of the pioneering social research organisation Mass Observation. There are original manuscript and typescript papers, published reports and photographs, and interactive features.
- The Oxford English Dictionary: Features 600,000 words, 3 million quotations, and over 1000 years of English.
- Oxford Scholarship Online - Law: Full-text access to Oxford University Press scholarship in law and other disciplines.
- Practical Law: Allows you to browse key resources and view the latest legal updates in a wide range of practice areas.
- Westlaw: Full-text database of UK, EU and US legal materials. UK coverage includes all the cases from the Law Reports back to 1865. Also contains the full text of cases from 19 other series of UK and EU law reports, as well as the full text of all UK and EU legislation.
Other useful databases:
- Box of Broadcasts (BOB): Innovative shared online off-air TV and radio recording service for UK higher and further education institutions. Choose and record any broadcast programme from 60+ TV and radio channels, schedule recordings in advance, edit programmes into clips, create playlists, embed clips into VLEs, share what you are watching with others and search a growing archive of material. Discover more about BoB National features by viewing their Videoeo Tutorials.
- Business Source Complete: Full text coverage for more than 1800 peer-reviewed business and economics journals. In addition, this database offers indexing and abstracts for many more journals, plus 17,000 detailed profiles of the world's largest companies.
- JSTOR: Provides access to the full text of some core journals for law.
- Nexis UK: Provides access to regional, national and global newspapers, worldwide financial and company information, market research data, and country information, including the BBC monitoring service. Video Tutorials
- Oxford Reference: An online resource that brings together two million digitized entries from OUP's Dictionaries, Companions andEncyclopedias.Good for checking a fact or finding key information on a person, concept or term.
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses: Search for dissertations and theses from across the world. [Senate House Library]
- Scopus: A multidisciplinary database containing the citations and abstracts of peer-reviewed literature. This database lists the number of times a work has been cited in other works and provides direct links to the abstracts of citing works. Access to full-text subscription content where available at QMUL Library via the "library - check full text" button. Video Tutorial
- Statista: Provides statistical data from a wide range of international sources on populations, industries, economics, media, public opinion, companies, politics, lifestyles, and many other topics. Video Tutorial
- The Times Digital Archive: 1785-2012 (and rolling) provides access to a library of back issues of the newspaper online plus searchable images from the microfilm collection of The Times.
- Web of Science: A multidisciplinary database containing the citations and abstracts of peer-reviewed literature. This database lists the number of times a work has been cited in other works and provides direct links to the abstracts of citing works. Access to full-text subscription content where available at QMUL Library via the "library - check full text" button. Video Tutorial
The databases listed above are only a small part of the database collection at QMUL Libraries. You can find the full list of databases available at QMUL via the Library's A-Z List of Electronic Journals and Databases. If the topic you are studying crosses a number of different subject areas, you may find it helpful to check the other Library Subject Guide pages for useful resources, contacts and information.