About Inter-Library Loans
The Inter-Library Loans service allows eligible users to obtain documents not available in Queen Mary Library collections, including:
- Journal articles & journal volumes
- Books & book chapters
- Conference proceedings
This is service is available to:
- Queen Mary staff
- Postgraduate research students (PGR)
- Postgraduate taught students (PGT)
- School of Medicine and Dentistry (SMD) undergraduates
Alumni, SCONUL users, and QMUL users whose accounts are barred (with fines over £12.00) are not able to use this service.
As of 1st August 2018, the charges are as follows:
- £9.55 for articles/chapters
- £15.40 for loans
- £4.75 for renewals
- £30.00 for international requests (including books and theses)
A budget code or personal payment is required in advance from SMD staff, PGR and PGT students. Please complete and return the SMD Budget Authorisation Form [DOC 1,508KB].
All other staff, PGR and PGT students’ requests will be charged to their department.
SMD undergraduates pay the full cost of requests in advance.
Placing an Inter-Library Loan request
- Check the item is not available via the:
- Use the Self Service section of the Library website (your IT network login will be required as authentication).
- Select your home QMUL library
- Confirm your payment option:
How long will it take?
- Journal articles and book chapters delivered by Secure Electronic Delivery – SED - from the British Library On Demand service – within 5 days
- Loanable items from British Library – 10 days
- Items from other UK and overseas libraries - dependent on availability
Whilst every effort is made to locate requested items, there may be occasions when they cannot be obtained.
Receiving your Inter-Library Loan request
- Loanable items e.g. books can be collected from your home library. You will be notified by email when they have arrived.
- Journal articles and book chapters from the British Library On Demand service (SEDs) are sent direct to your QMUL email inbox.
External Libraries and Institutions
Requests from other institutions can be made by sending an email to email@example.com. The email should include the following details:
- Your British Library customer number
- Your reference number for the request
- Request details (Title, Author, year, page numbers, volume/issue if relevant)
Payment is charged at the current British Library rate.
Requests for Queen Mary theses may be made through the British Library's EThOS.
Requests from outside the UK are accepted. We accept IFLA vouchers as payment and will inform as to the number of vouchers required upon receipt of your request.